Friday, October 21, 2011

Testing our Boundaries

Today I was reading a devotion about Psalm 16:6. The verse says: “The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.” 


This passage, like many others is so relevant in our lives. Marriage has been very humbling for us from the get-go. As our attitudes and lifestyles have been tested as we have seen how important it is to keep God at the center of our marriage. It is so easy for us all as sinful humans to feel like we are being held back from freedom, we want to make our own decisions, create our own path and assume through the midst of it all, that our way has to be the best way. Well, unfortunately, but FORTUNATELY, our way is NEVER the best way. It has been so awesome to see the ways God has worked in our life thus far and it excites me to see what he has around the corner. 


I'm not going to sit here and tell you how awesome it is not to have a steady income, but through prayer and trust we have definitely seen God provide. Although I often find myself wanting to break down the boundary lines to see what's ahead, it is humbling to realize that I am not the one in control of my life. God has placed this road in front of me for a reason and for my protection. He knows far better than I, what is best for us and when. When we feel hopeless he opens another door, it's not always a big golden door, sometimes it's just a little hole in the wall, but it has always been big enough to fit through. He gives us what we need to carry us over until the next. It keeps our trust alive, it makes us realize that relying on ourselves is not going to do anything but disappoint. 


I wonder sometimes if I don't trust enough, I think it is easy to get caught up in the worldly ideas that we 'need' certain things to be content and fulfilled. When things don't go the way I think they should I get distressed and find myself taking it out on Steve rather than bringing my concerns to God. I want more than ever to be a loving and supportive wife, I know that Steve is following the Lord, that he is submitting to Him and therefore it is important for me to follow and submit to Steve. He is the spiritual leader of our home and I need to encourage him to remain in that role rather than try and take over. 


The window washing days are coming to an end with winter around the corner. I have had small freelance jobs here and there, I take on as much as I can while still putting most of my focus into my final semester. While it can be concerning to sit and wonder where our money will come from next month, we have seen that God has always put something in our path even if just for awhile. Steve just got a phone call from someone from church asking if he could fill in doing custodial work again while 2 people are out on disability. - another door opened, like I said before it's not a huge door with stained glass, but it's a door nonetheless. He also has another gig at Eagle Brook in a few weeks. 


With this all said, we are doing fine, we are living comfortably with what we need, happy to have each other. We are attentively following where God leads us, anxiously awaiting the next point on the map. It is exciting, it's scary, it's an adventure and I wouldn't want to be doing it with anyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment