Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Good Music

This last week I've been hearing some good music on Classical MPR and it got me to thinking about the power that music has. It started hearing the last day of the BBC Proms, a music festival held in the United Kingdom every year. It was a huge party. Everyone there was having so much fun. That was the beginning of my week in music. At other times I heard some beautifully grand pieces and some wrenching pieces written after 9-11. I had to stop and just enjoy these pieces and get lost in the landscape each piece created. I'm going to share a few of them with our readers for you to enjoy.

The first is a piece by John Adams. Kaia and I heard this in South Dakota played by the Symphony Orchestra there and it was an incredibly beautiful piece. It is a piece written in the 20th century so it is driven by the rhythmic pulse. It is called Grand Pianola Music



The next piece is one I heard on the Proms broadcast. It was a theme and variation that introduces the listener to the different sections of the orchestra. It is called the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra because it is meant to help young people know what they are hearing in music. It is written by Benjamin Britten. Here is part of it, you should search for it on youtube to fine the rest.


I really want to go to London one year to the Proms. It is a 2 month celebration of music and would be an incredible time. I doubt I would be able to go for the entire series, but even for a week or so would be incredible.


The last piece I heard was part of Mozart's Requiem. A deeply emotional stirring and emotional piece. I just had to stop and listen and enjoy while it was on. 


I realize this is all Classical music. There is so much music out there to enjoy. Take some time and listen to something different and enjoy the diversity of musical experience that is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment